WARWICK RAILWAY 4400
The Warwick Railway's number 4400 is a 65 ton, 425 h.p.Vulcan built in Wilkes Barre in 1943 for the Hingham Ammunition Depot in Massachusetts. The one mile Warwick Railway of Cranston, RI had been part of the United Electric Railway's Buttonwood Branch until it became the Warwick in 1949 (most of the line had been in Warwick before the mid-1930's). It interchanged at Auburn in Cranston and had a fairly good business hauling mainly vinyl chloride to plants at Bellefont. It was purchased by the Providence & Worcester but is now out of service. It had an odd assortment of equipment -- before it went diesel in the early 1950's it had a UER freight motor, a UER ex-snow sweeper which served as a freight engine and a UER crane car which could also act as a locomotive. It had two diesels -- 4400 and 104, a 50-ton Atlas built in 1940. There was also a GE gas-electric locomotive which was never used.
Photographed by Edward Ozog, April, 1980.
Added to the photo archive by Edward Ozog, October 2, 2009.
» Contact the person who posted this photograph.