BX-5, Bird's Hill cut.
In the diesel era this line was passenger only. BX-5, the local serving Needham, Newton Upper Falls and the Industrial Center, was based out of Framingham. Summer 1959, a new Rexall Drug Co. distribution center was opened in West Roxbury. For this reason, BX-5's origination was changed to Readville, MA. Photo vantage is Great Plain Avenue overpass. In the distance is the concrete arch carrying Greendale Avenue. Overburden from digging the cut, was used for fill work, elsewhere on the line. This four mile, grade separated, double track "connector" was opened, in 1906, from West Roxbury to a point on the Boston-Woonsocket line, which became Needham Junction.
Photographed by Ken Patton, August, 1959.
Added to the photo archive by Ken Patton, July 17, 2019.
Railroad: New Haven.
» Contact the person who posted this photograph.