The NERAIL New England Railroad Photo Archive
 
 
Previous Photo Photo of BX-5, Bird's Hill cut. Next Photo
BX-5, Bird's Hill cut.

In the diesel era this line was passenger only. BX-5, the local serving Needham, Newton Upper Falls and the Industrial Center, was based out of Framingham. Summer 1959, a new Rexall Drug Co. distribution center was opened in West Roxbury. For this reason, BX-5's origination was changed to Readville, MA. Photo vantage is Great Plain Avenue overpass. In the distance is the concrete arch carrying Greendale Avenue. Overburden from digging the cut, was used for fill work, elsewhere on the line. This four mile, grade separated, double track "connector" was opened, in 1906, from West Roxbury to a point on the Boston-Woonsocket line, which became Needham Junction.

Photographed by Ken Patton, August, 1959.
Added to the photo archive by Ken Patton, July 17, 2019.
Railroad: New Haven.

Ken Patton's awards:

» Contact the person who posted this photograph.

Full-Sized image (1910 x 1273)
Sharing this photo?

Use this "permalink" to avoid broken links:

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=251929
 
Submit to Stumble Submit to Digg Submit to Del.icio.us Google Bookmark Submit to Reddit Twit This

[Turn Ads Off]

Visitor Comments about this Photo:

No comments have been left yet.


You must be logged on to post comments.

 
Follow us on Facebook
News | About NERAIL | About Jeff | Contact Jeff | F.A.Q.'s | Privacy Policy | Other Great Sites
This site, excluding photographs, copyright © 2016 Jeff S. Morris. Photographs copyright © individual photographers, except as noted.