Freight at Bird's Hill, (now Hersey), station.
During the spell, when BX-5 originated from Readville, it was necessary to use the Shoreline from there to Forrest Hills. (The line, used in steam days; Dedham Square to West Roxbury was no longer complete.) Cab signal equipped GP-9s were the preferred power. As it happened EMD trucks proved better suited than Alco trucks, switching on sharp curves in the Industrial Center. The building on the right was the second station at Bird's Hill, built on the original inbound alignment when the track was lifted in the early 1930s. Later, BX-5's power would be the only 1200 based at Framingham.
Photographed by Ken Patton, August, 1959.
Added to the photo archive by Ken Patton, July 17, 2019.
Railroad: New Haven.
» Contact the person who posted this photograph.