Approaching Birds Hill (Hersey) station.
BX-5 was New Haven's local freight, which served customers on the line between Needham Junction and Cook Street, (near Newton Upper Falls). The job's work also included Needham's Industrial Center. Usually based out of Framingham, it reached Needham Junction via Medfield Junction. For about a year BX-5's base was changed to Readville. This was done to serve a new Rexall Drug warehouse, opened on the Needham line near Gardner St. in West Roxbury. The change entailed running on the Shoreline to Forrest Hills, which required a cab signal equipped unit. It also entailed running over what had been considered "passenger only" trackage from West Roxbury to Needham Junction. An upside was, that EMD's trucks were found to track better than Alco's on Industrial Center curves. When the job eventually returned to Framingham, it was the only one assigned a 1200.
Photographed by Ken Patton, June, 1959.
Added to the photo archive by Ken Patton, December 15, 2022.
Railroad: New Haven.
» Contact the person who posted this photograph.